[audacity4blind] Accessible convolution plugins

  • From: "Damien Sykes-Pendleton" <damien@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <audacity4blind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 30 Aug 2015 16:59:11 +0100

Hi all,
I am pretty new to Audacity and so my information may be incorrect, but I can’t
seem to find a convolution effect.
I have been looking online for the past two weeks trying to find a suitable
plugin that could be used, and have found nothing that could work the way I
need it to.
I need it to be totally accessible with the keyboard, and to be able to take
standard PCM wave files for impulse responses.
I have found a likely engine called SIR, which I believe was also discussed on
here a few years ago (looking at the public archive), however it doesn’t seem
to be very accessible. In fact, most of the VST plugins I have found in this
area aren’t very accessible at all, hence the reason I switched to Audacity
which supported more plugin formats.
I then found out that Audacity supported LADSPA plugins, and that there was a
Windows version of these. To my dismay I then found that the impulse convolver
plugin required its responses to be compiled into the library.
Then came my last hope, a module called Aurora. However I found the module
preferences interface not to be very accessible. When I finally got that sorted
with some sighted assistance, the modules didn’t even load or show any
additional options.
As far as I am aware there are no Nyquist plugins that perform this effect, nor
any builtin effects. One thing I have not yet explored is whether Audacity
supports DSP plugins (such as those used for Winamp etc), or DirectShow effect
plugins.
Any assistance here would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.
Damien.