[audacity4blind] Re: A question about mixing

  • From: "David R. Sky" <davidsky@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: audacity4blind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 7 Mar 2006 09:12:08 -0800 (PST)

Hi Gianluca,

By normalizing do you mean making the amplitude maximum without clipping (making the tops and bottoms of the waveforms flat)? Select all your audio (control+a in Windows), open the effects menu (alt+c) and select Amplify. There is one edit field, a number which indicates how many db (decibels) is needed to make the sound maximum without clipping. When I use the amplify effect, I apply it at 0.1 db less than the indicated value. For instance, if the amplify effect suggest 6.0db, I change it to 5.9db and apply it. This assumes that you have the relative amplitudes of the speech and music how you like it. If you don't,, apply the amplify tool to one track or the other first.

If you mean normalize as removing any dc bias (which means the sound is not equally above and below the zero line of your sound), select all then apply the Normalize effect.

Do you want to do what's called 'ducking' in broadcast? I wrote a plug-in to do this quite a while back. Ducking means dropping the background music while there is talking.

I've been digitizing music I recorded over the years - I use the normalize effect first then apply the amplify effect. If I want to apply other sound effects to the audio, I apply those first then use the amplify effect.

is this what you were looking for?

 David

On Tue, 7 Mar 2006, Gianluca Nucci wrote:

Hi folks,

I'd wish to put speach and music as background in a two different tracks. How may I normalize the volumes properly? Cheers

Gianluca