[aucompsci-discussion] Fwd: Cameron wants to spy on Facebook and emails

  • From: Iain Learmonth <adapa@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: aucompsci-discussion@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 26 Oct 2010 12:16:50 +0100

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Jim Killock <jim.killock@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, Oct 26, 2010 at 11:15 AM
Subject: Cameron wants to spy on Facebook and emails
To: adapa-political@xxxxxxxxxxxx

[image: Logo]
<http://bit.ly/stopthesnooping>*

Dear
* Iain Learmonth,

*Please sign our petition against web and email
snooping<http://bit.ly/stopthesnooping>
*

Last week, the government sneaked into their Security Review a proposal to
revive mass Internet surveillance.

Under the Kafka-esque title of the “Intercept Modernisation Programme”, this
would mean interception of every online communication by every UK citizen,
and recording who is talking to who.

Every email, website, Facebook message or chatroom message would be
recorded.

If that sounds expensive and vastly difficult, then you are right. The
review says the government wants to waste £2 billion despite massive cuts
across vital services.

The coalition’s said they would aim to “end the storage of Internet and
email records without good reason”. We need to remind them that they
promised to protect our civil liberties. ORG and our friends at No2ID and
Privacy International fought off these plans under Labour – we can fight
them off again.

In just one day, yesterday, over 1,000 people signed our petition.

*Please add your name – and tell your friends.<http://bit.ly/stopthesnooping>
*

*Sign our petition <http://bit.ly/stopthesnooping>*

Thank you,

Jim Killock, Executive Director, Open Rights Group

Find out more
here<http://www.openrightsgroup.org/blog/2010/government-web-snooping-back-on-the-cards>

If you wish to opt out of future emails, you can do so
here<http://action.openrightsgroup.org/ea-campaign/clientcampaign.do?ea.client.id=1422&ea.campaign.id=6660>
.

--

Regards,