Re: OpenDevNight this Wednesday: Operating Systems Weird and Wonderful

  • From: Paweł Lasek <pawel.lasek@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: au-compsci@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 4 May 2009 02:05:11 +0100

2009/5/4 Paweł Lasek <pawel.lasek@xxxxxxxxx>:
> On Sun, May 3, 2009 at 22:40, Mason, Alicia <a.mason.06@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> CompSci ladies -
>>
>> This Wednesday is the second in our new series of OpenDevNights, and this
>> time, there's a bunch of amateur talks about operating systems. None of your
>> boring-ass Windows vs. MacOS vs. Linux, either - we'll be covering rare,
>> obscure and strange systems of all ilks. I'll be covering ReactOS, the
>> freeware analogue of Windows. Yeah, free Windows!
>> Alicia Mason
>
> Then I'll try to shed a little light over even less known systems -
> Plan9 (Unix's successor), Genera (the system of Symbolics' LispM) and
> L4. I'll see how much I can prepare till Wednesday. If everything goes
> right, I might have running instances for people to play with! :)
>
> --
> Paweł Lasek
> On #lisp@xxxxxxxxxxxx
> "<schme> But the systems seem so darned complicated. I see the wife
> unit here sitting around with winXP and it seems very complicated."

OK, I found that I have possible materials and demonstration stuff for
much more than single night unless you want to have single guy talk
over all night, so vote on what you want till Monday 23:59
* Plan9 from Bell Labs (and PlanB)
* DEC/Compaq/HP OpenVMS (The "open" is silent :P)
* Genera (Symbolics' LispM)
* ITS - Incompatible Timesharing System, birthplace of Emacs
* TOPS-20 - aka what kept internet together in the very beginning
* MVS - because some of us secretly dream of Big Blue (or red) mainframes
* L4 - because microkernel should truly be micro

Please vote on which one you want, or be prepared for suprise :D
Also, if someone helps, like by coming with ethernet switch, I might
setup some test VMs so that you can play with those OSes over X11.