[atxgpsig] Re: [atxgpsig]

  • From: Bob Pendleton <bob@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: atxgpsig@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2006 11:43:19 -0600

On Thu, 2006-12-21 at 09:47 -0600, Evan Bell wrote:
> No hard feelings. I will try to compile that code under VC++ 7.1 a
> little later.
>
> I have not yet used VC++ version 8.0, so I can't comment on it. We
> will be migrating to it sometime around February( Xbox 360
> requirement ). I can however say that every compiler I have ever used
> has about as many draw backs and quirks as the others. All of the
> versions of GCC I have used have been ports to make them work with the
> consoles( ps2, gcc, n64, ps1, etc ). Also I have yet to encounter a C
> ++ standards compliant compiler. It seems like you get about 90-95
> percent compliant. I wonder if this is for backwards compatibility
> with non-compliant code( see MS for loop iterator scope compliance ).

I do not know. MS is very good about backward compatibility even when
keeping it means being non-standard compliant.

I have had very good luck with the gnu compilers, but I have mostly used
them on well established platforms. In the past I had good luck and bad
with MS, Borland, Watcom. You name it. They all have good versions and
bad. It seems to go in stages, a compiler becomes reliable and complies
with the standard about the time the standard changes. Then for 3 to 5
years you have a choice of non-standard compilers or reliable
compilers...

Right now for teaching C++ I prefer g++ because it seems to be closest
to actually implementing the C++ standard and it is available
everywhere. Where the gnu compilers bight is the extensions. It is easy
to find your self using an extension because, "hey it compiled". And,
you have to know to much to be able to turn off the extensions.

                Bob Pendleton