[atxgpsig] Re: [atxgpsig]

  • From: "Evan Bell" <evanprime@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: atxgpsig@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2006 09:47:06 -0600

No hard feelings. I will try to compile that code under VC++ 7.1 a little
later.

I have not yet used VC++ version 8.0, so I can't comment on it. We will be
migrating to it sometime around February( Xbox 360 requirement ). I can
however say that every compiler I have ever used has about as many draw
backs and quirks as the others. All of the versions of GCC I have used have
been ports to make them work with the consoles( ps2, gcc, n64, ps1, etc ).
Also I have yet to encounter a C++ standards compliant compiler. It seems
like you get about 90-95 percent compliant. I wonder if this is for
backwards compatibility with non-compliant code( see MS for loop iterator
scope compliance ).

Evan

On 12/21/06, Bob Pendleton <bob@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Wed, 2006-12-20 at 23:00 -0600, Evan Bell wrote:
> Hey Bob, I was just guessing from the code that was posted in the
> email. Then I corrected myself in the follow up email. Just trying to
> help.

Sorry, sorry... I hate it when I blow up and I hate it even more when I
blow up at the wrong person. Sorry again.

In my class this last week I saw a situation where the free VC++ express
compiler compiled a program properly where the VC++ 7.0 would not
compile the code. An other student kept having the compiler crash on a
bad piece of code. Admittedly, the code was not correct, but the
compiler crashed instead of giving a meaningful error message.

I have to conclude that the latest generation of C/C++ compilers from MS
are buggy enough to be unsuitable for student use and maybe buggy enough
to be avoided by every one.

                Bob Pendleton