[atxgpsig] Re: Meeting this Saturday?

  • From: "Chris Nystrom" <cnystrom@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: atxgpsig@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2007 13:34:34 -0600

On 1/11/07, Bob Pendleton <bob@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in reference to
Austin Game Programming SIG meeting this Saturday:

Yes! The room is reserved and I will be there. It's the first session of
the new year and a good time to discuss the future of the group, the
future of gaming, and one I am particularly interested in, what are the
hottest new markets?

Now that there is a Win32 version of the Dreadnought Application
Browser, I can demo the cross platform nature of games written for
NewIO.

Last fall I started working on Chris's nio project and wound up chasing
a wild hare exploring what is out there that can make our work easier.
What I kept coming back to was the boost library (boost.org). Has anyone
else taken a good hard look at any of that work?

As you know I am more of a C programmer than C++. However, I am not
opposed to refactoring Dreadnought to use C++ instead of C. I know
Steve, the other developer who has done extensive work on Dreadnought,
is a C++ programmer so I presume he would not be opposed either.

I have not taken a hard look at boost, but it seems to come up often
in C++ discussions and it seems to be the cross platform library of
choice for C++ users.

It would be interesting to rearchitecture Dreadnought and see what
could be taken out of the current implementation and replaced with
boost library calls, and also what could be added or made easier using
boost.

Chris

--
E-Mail: Chris Nystrom <cnystrom@xxxxxxxxx>