[atari7800] Re: [personal] Re: AW: 7800 cartridge detection

  • From: "Dan Boris" <dboris@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <atari7800@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2005 18:35:58 -0400

This discussion got me thinking that I never actually looked at the PAL
BIOS disassembly. So i did a diassembly and have been trying to figure
out how it works. Here's what I have found so far..

The BIOS compares FE00-FE7F with FE80-FF00 and if they are the same, it
assumes there no cartridge and jumps to internal game.
Next if checks the reset vector, and if it's $FFFF or $0000 then it
assumes there's no cartridge and jumps to the internal game.

It looks like it then checks $FFF8 and $FFF9 for a valid 7800 cartidge
header. If it's not valid it starts the cartridge in 2600 mode.

That's all I have been able to figure out so far.

Dan