[atari7800] Re: DMA TIMING

  • From: "Eric Ball" <ek-ball@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <atari7800@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 8 Nov 2004 19:17:48 -0500

> I really wanted to get away from ports, but I'm really, really tempted to
"redo them right". Yeah, you'd need a little trickery to deal with the
colour depth (mixing chars and sprites), particularly in Robotron with how
fluid positioning is, but whatever...

I wish you luck, but I suspect you may discover that part of the reason the
320H modes were seldom used was the limitations for color selection inherent
to those modes.  (The transparency & positioning issues can be worked
around.)

160A is simple: 3 colors+transparent from 1 of 8 palettes.
320A: color #2 + transparent from 1 of 8 palettes
320B: 3 colors + transparent from 1 of 2 palettes
320C: color #2 + transparent from 2 of 8 palettes
320D: 2.5 colors + transparent from 1 of 2 palettes

For 320B the palette is partially selected by the sprite bits, while for
320D the colors are partially selected by the palette bits.

Now if there was a 320H, or even a 240H, version of 160A then there would be
no excuse not to use it.