[asvs] Re: the Concept

  • From: Grigori Evreinov <grse@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: asvs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 10 Oct 2004 14:10:21 +0300

Dear All,

My name is Grigori
I'm sincerely wish to help some people to acquire more information
and manipulate by info similar way like sighted people.
However, ASVS does not mean a “poor” sonification “for sonification itself”
for graphics or full images, like scientific research
or case study to gather data and write the report or to test a new sound
mapping only.
I doubt that somebody of you got a full education in physiology,
particularly in physiology of perception like me.
This is my basic education. And, I can say definitely that physiology
still is not the complete subject. There are a lot of speculations
around artifacts than valid or/and validated data.
But due to my own and long experience I can also see
that some approaches in our area of the sonification were based on a
wrong concept.
And my own mappings were not so well.
The start point is very important for the research when the goal of that
is a practical outcome for the user.
Will is quite write when he stated that
“the software fit to the user, not the user fit to the software”!!!
Recently, I’ve given a presentation on similar subject.
Sorry, for some of you it could be problematic for interpretation
as ppt is mostly oriented on graphics and my comments.
But I’ll give you the link and will comment later some questions if
necessary.
~ 1.6 Mb
http://www.cs.uta.fi/~grse/ConferenceWork/UCIT_seminar/SensesAndAccessibility.ppt

If you could apply Artificial instead of auditory in abbreviation ASVS
it could be more suitable later as the sound in this case is only the
case study
but in the final system, other signals could be used as well.
For instance, any other skin irritation like as mechanical stimulation
through vibrations
(not sound) or electrical current or whatever.
In such a case, the problem of information occlusion (other speech and
auditory info)
could be resolved. This is also important factor for the blind, as using
the AuditorySVS
the visually impaired people will lose the “hearing” (not like
perception ability).

Grigori