[asvs] Re: When Would Synthetic Vision be Useful?

  • From: "Will Pearson" <will-pearson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <asvs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 1 Oct 2004 18:56:46 +0100

Peter,

I agree that cancellation may be problematic, and from the two electives I
did as an undergrad on communications technology, I know that if the
signal's amplitude frequency and phase are equal, you'd get complete
cancellation of both signals due to the attenuation created.  I think
there's a couple of possible solutions, although my physics ain't great, so
I might be wrong.

Firstly, allow the display to be shifted about in space.  This will break
the symetry between the two points.  This is also a useful thing to do to
overcome the issue of low auditory definition.  We can only detect sounds
that are at least one degree apart.  So, in order to pick up on the finer
detail, you will need to zoom in and shift the display about any way.  It's
a bit like low vision users needing magnification to overcome the poor
visual definition created by low vision.

Secondly, alter the frequency very slightly.  Psycho-acoustically, we can
only distinguish differences in frequency of between 10 and 15Hz.  So,
adjust the freq. by a hertz or two would still give the appearance of the
frequencies being identical, although they're not.  I don't know how much
you would need to shift the freq. by to avoid cancellation, but I think this
should work.  I'll check on monday, as one of the lecturers who took me for
comms. tech. is one of the people I'm having a meeting with on Monday about
a research project, and his PhD superviser was Prof. H H H, who did the
theory on optical storage, that later became the CD.

Will