[asvs] Re: The Concept & Development Road Map

  • From: Bruce Walker <bruce.walker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: asvs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 12 Oct 2004 09:49:44 -0400

Geoff,

I guess we can take this off the main ASVS list, but the SWAN project
may be of interest to others, so I'll briefly point to my Sonification
Lab's research Web page at

http://sonify.psych.gatech.edu/research/index.html   and more
particularly, the SWAN page at

http://sonify.psych.gatech.edu/research/swan/index.html

Sorry, both of these web sites are a bit sparse and not quite up to
date. I can provide more details to anyone interested. I will suggest
that this group may be interested especially in the System for Wearable
Audio Navigation (SWAN), the Sonification Sandbox, and the Audio
Abacus, these last two being software for displaying quantitative data
(feel free to download and play with them).

In our work we are obviously very interested in the issue of mapping
data to auditory display parameters, which is a key design concern for
this ASVS system. For an auditory display to be acceptable and
effective, you need to get the mappings right; but not just the
mappings--also the polarities. For example, Will mentioned mapping
increasing color onto increasing pitch. This seems reasonable, and will
probably be the most suitable arrangement. However, note that (1) not
everyone shares the same mental models about how some things "should"
be represented with sound, and (2) there are many similarities, but
also some key differences between the way sighted and blind listeners
interpret what they hear in auditory graphs (at least in our research,
that is).

I guess the message is, as Will said, to follow a user-centered design
approach, and also to make the system flexible/customizable, or at
least highly learnable.

--Bruce

On Oct 12, 2004, at 3:40 AM, geoff Smith wrote:

> Hello Bruce,
>
> You wrote:
>
> "Can I inquire as to the nature of your hearing loss?"
>
> It is derived from a genetic condition known as, " Stickler's Syndrome
> ".
> This syndrome results in a hearing loss of varying degrees and also
> blindness, again varying degrees.

Bruce Walker, Ph.D.         bruce.walker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
School of Psychology              (404) 894-8265 (office)
Georgia Institute of Technology      (404) 894-8905 (fax)
Atlanta, Georgia, 30332-0170        (404) 874-1618 (home)