[asvs] Re: The Concept & Development Road Map

  • From: "geoff Smith" <geoffandsabin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <asvs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 12 Oct 2004 08:40:09 +0100

Hello Bruce,

You wrote:

"Can I inquire as to the nature of your hearing loss?"

It is derived from a genetic condition known as, " Stickler's Syndrome ".
This syndrome results in a hearing loss of varying degrees and also
blindness, again varying degrees.

I was told by a professor of Genetics, that Abraham Lincoln also had this
syndrome.

My sight loss is total, and the hearing loss is approximately 80% loss. I
only have one ear with any useful hearing, and that is supplimented with a
powerful hearing aid. That means that I only receive sound from one side. If
someone speaks on the opposite side to the hearing aid, I either have
extreme difficulty in hearing what has been said, or miss it altogether.

"> Have you tried bone conduction devices?"

I've not heard of these, so presumably the answer is, no.

I use a Personal Loop System, which works with the T setting of the hearing
aid. I also use a pair of speakers with a bass unit, 2.1 system. Since I
can't appreciate sterio, these are placed together, but are of good quality
sound.

"> We are using them in our SWAN project at Georgia Tech, "

Can this site be reached through the Web?

Geoff and Sabin