[astcq-discuss] The future of meetings

  • From: "Christine Birtley-Kent" <birtley_kent@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <astcq-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 8 Aug 2004 10:03:02 +1000

Hi all
I am not really in favour of courses for specific skills - let those who want
to run them, organise them and use the lists to advertise them.  But I am in
favour of sharing our knowledge of the industry - and developing a kind of
professional awareness or career development approach.

Back in the 'old days', in Victoria, we had an extremely healthy group that
moved from one person's workplace to another, and each person shared what they
were doing with the rest of the group.  We often had as  many as 30 or 40
attending meetings. We got to snoop on how other workplaces functioned, how
other projects were run, and the kind of innovations that were going on.  We
perhaps even spotted where we wanted to work next.

The Canberra group still seems to do this, and, for the short term I was there
to watch, it seemed to be very well attended for a small city - 20ish people to
a meeting and then a meal afterwards.  I am sure if we asked them, they would
share their programs for the last few years so we could see the sorts of things
they have done and get some ideas of where to start.

But I do think that there is one ingredient necessary for this to work - there
must be some technical writers out there whose workplaces are doing something
interesting and innovative, or are doing something to a fabulously high
standard.

My view of the world has narrowed in the last few years - perhaps I have become
jaundiced - but I am not seeing much innovative or superb stuff happening.
This may either be because it is not happening, or it may be because I am in
the wrong places to see it happening.

So if the group went down this path, it would certainly help me, and perhaps
others, develop a realistic perspective as to the nature of technical writing
as a profession, and perhaps help us find the 'hot spots' where our talents can
be best placed.

Regards, Christine
Phone: 07 55288512
Mobile: 0407 604010

To search the astcq-discuss archives, visit
//www.freelists.org/archives/astcq-discuss/

To change your settings using the web interface, login at
//www.freelists.org/cgi-bin/lsg2.cgi/

astcq-discuss-admins@xxxxxxxxxxxxx