[associates] Back up steering systems

  • From: cbckj@xxxxxxx
  • To: associates@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 30 Apr 2009 18:51:57 -0400

Thanks for a forum to discuss our issues.? It is really appreciated.? I am an
inspector and have the unique opportunity to poke my head into, and around a
lot of converted vehicles.? I am hoping to solicit opinions and guidance from
this learned group of professionals, and to have some input into the general
NMEDA community.? Please understand, I just want to stimulate some dialogue,
not propose policy...case in point:
During inspections I have found that back up steering pumps are mounted in
areas that are subject to damage even from minor impacts.? My concern is that
these systems could rupture and leak with high pressure flammable fluids
spraying?into the engine compartment. The pumps are frequently?mounted in the
front bumper.? Back up steering systems have not changed in basic design for
over 25 years.? One of my discussion points, (besides location change and
design) is the actual need for these systems.? I have seen more problems with
back up steering systems than I have heard reports that they serve their
intended purpose.? The maintenance and installation issues are numerous.? Is
the intended safety of this device worth the problems?? I'm? looking forward to
your comments.
C. Kerry Jones
"The Space Between"
cbckj@xxxxxxx

The documents accompanying this transmission contain confidential information
belonging to the sender that is legally privileged. This information is
intended only for the use of the individuals or entity named above. The
authorized recipient of this information is prohibited from disclosing the
information to any other party and is required to destroy the information after
its stated need has been fulfilled. If you are not the intended recipient, you
are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, distribution or the taking of
any action in reliance on the contents of this information is prohibited. If
you have received this in error, please notify the sender immediately at the
address above to arrange for the return of the original documents. Thank you