[asme-dtm] Open PhD Positions in Engineering Design and Computing

  • From: Seth Orsborn <sdo004@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "asme-dtm@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <asme-dtm@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 14 Apr 2014 13:55:42 -0400

Dear Colleagues,
I have recently moved to ETH Zurich and am building a lab here. I am looking to
hire 2-3, fully-funded PhD students in Engineering Design and Computing. Could
you please bring this announcement to the attention of your top Masters
students. A Master degree is required to start a PhD here. The start timing is
flexible and the graduate program at ETH is in English. Thanks!
Best regards,
Kristi

ETH Zurich, Prof. Dr. Kristina Shea, Engineering Design and Computing Laboratory
CLA F, Tannenstrasse 3, 8092 Zurich, Switzerland
Tel: +41 44 632 0479, fax  +41 44 632 1396
http://www.edac.ethz.ch<http://www.edac.ethz.ch/>

---
Open PhD Positions in Engineering Design and Computing

Position: The Engineering Design and Computing Laboratory has several open PhD
positions to work on cutting-edge research projects within the area of
computer-aided and computational design and fabrication.

Specific PhD research topics include:
• computational design methods for multi-material and active parts fabricated
through additive manufacturing (3D printing),
• bio-inspired computational design methods for additive manufacturing, and
• advanced design automation methods for complex engineered products.

Research is applied across a range of application and industry areas including
consumer products, healthcare, robotics, transportation systems, automotive and
aerospace. The position also involves teaching assistance in the areas of CAD,
technical drawing, engineering design, and computational design and fabrication.

Your profile: Are you creative and can work across disciplines? Are you
interested in engineering design, computing and fabrication? Do you have a
hands-on approach? We are looking for excellent applicants with a Master degree
in Mechanical Engineering, Computer Science, Applied Mathematics, Materials
Science or a related area of study, who are motivated to carry out
internationally leading research. Knowledge in one or more of the following
topics is
an advantage: engineering design, computer-aided design (CAD), computer-aided
engineering (CAE) especially FEM, computational structural mechanics,
mechatronic design, computational design, computational optimization, additive
manufacturing, applied computing and applied artificial intelligence.

What we are offering: The PhD positions are fully funded with a competitive
salary. (Only a small tuition fee is required at ETH.) You will be part of a
highly motivated, international team at one of the best universities in Europe.
Besides working in our growing, ambitious team you will also have the chance to
collaborate with students, other labs and industrial partners. Your ideas
will help to actively shape our lab and strengthen our position within the
international research community.

Since we are an international team, English is our main working language.
Knowledge of German is an advantage but not a must. We especially encourage
women to apply.

The starting date is open, however, preferably in 2014.

Further information: For further information please see our website:
www.edac.ethz.ch or contact: info-edac@xxxxxxxxxxxx