[asme-dtm] NECSI Courses in Complexity

  • From: Seth Orsborn <sdo004@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "asme-dtm@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <asme-dtm@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 22 Nov 2013 14:51:58 -0500

NECSI Courses in Complexity
Winter Session 2014
The winter session offers two intensive week-long courses. The courses consist
of lectures, discussions, and supervised group projects. Though the second week
builds on material covered in the previous week, CX201 is not a prerequisite
for CX202. You may register for either or both weeks. If desired, arrangements
for credit at a home institution may be made in advance.

http://necsi.edu/education/school.html

Dates: January 6 - 17, 2014

Location: MIT, Cambridge, MA

Week 1: January 6-10 CX201: Complex Physical, Biological and Social Systems

Lab: January 12 CX102: Computer Programming and Complex Systems

Week 2: January 13-17 CX202: Complex Systems Modeling and Networks

Registration: http://necsi.edu/education/school.html?action=reg

Who Attends

These courses are intended for faculty, graduate students, post-doctoral
fellows, professionals and others who would like to gain an understanding of
the fundamentals of complex systems for application to research in their
respective fields, or as a basis for pursuing complex systems research.

Testimonials:

Excellent course...useful thematic overview... applications in diverse contexts
were exciting. Particularly appreciated the group project - excellent
experiential pedagogy.

The course was an eye-opening framework to analyze my work through a different
lens.

Presentations were extremely useful for me in understanding how to begin
modeling complex systems and assessing them. Helped me understand a lot of
things I have been doing so far without clearly understanding the principles.

This class very much stretched my mind to apply the ideas of complexity to the
world... I believe I learned more on a grander scale... will help enrich my
vocabulary and the way of thinking in the world with respect to complexity.

WEEK ONE
CX201: Complex Physical, Biological and Social Systems
Dates: January 6-10, 2014

This course offers an introduction to the essential concepts of complex systems
and related mathematical methods and simulation strategies with application to
physical, biological and social systems. The course will particularly focus on
the use of multiscale representations as a unifying approach to complex systems
concepts, methods and applications.

Concepts to be discussed include: emergence, complexity, networks,
self-organization, pattern formation, evolution, adaptation, fractals, chaos,
cooperation, competition, attractors, interdependence, scaling, dynamic
response, information, and function.

Methods to be discussed include: statistical methods, cellular automata,
agent-based modeling, pattern recognition, system representation and
informatics.

http://necsi.edu/education/school.html?action=wk1

LAB
CX102: Computer Programming and Complex Systems
Date: January 12, 2014

This course introduces computer programming in the Python language for those
with little or no computer programming experience. It is designed as a
precursor to CX202.

The course will present programming concepts and hands-on exercises. Topics to
be covered include: data structures, algorithms, variables and assignments,
numerical and logical operations, lists and dictionaries, user-defined
functions, flow control, loops, and visualization.

http://necsi.edu/education/school.html?action=lab

WEEK TWO
CX202: Complex Systems Modeling and Networks
Dates: January 13-17, 2014

This course provides (a) an introduction to building models of complex systems
(physical, biological, social and engineered), and (b) the study of networks,
including topologies and dynamics of real world networks.

The course will cover the basic construction and analysis of models including
identifying what is to be modeled, constructing a mathematical representation,
analysis tools and implementing and simulating the model in a computer program.
Particular attention will be paid to choosing the right level of detail for the
model, testing its robustness, and discussing which questions a given model can
or cannot answer.

The study of networks will introduce the use of network topologies and the
characterization of networks describing complex systems, including such
concepts as small worlds, degree distribution, diameter, clustering
coefficient, modules, and motifs. Different types of network topologies and
network behaviors that model aspects of real complex systems will be described
including: modular, sparse, random, scale-free, influence, transport,
transformation, and structure.

NOTE: Students without a background in programming are strongly recommended to
attend CX102: Computer Programming and Complex Systems in conjunction with
CX202.

http://necsi.edu/education/school.html?action=wk2

For more information and registration, visit:
http://necsi.edu/education/school.html