[asme-dtm] ASME DTM Posting: Recruiting great speakers for IDETC MiniTalk special event

  • From: Scarlett Miller <scarlettmiller@xxxxxxx>
  • To: asme-dtm@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 14 Apr 2015 20:34:13 -0400

Please see below for call for participation in MiniTalk special event at
iDETC.

---------------------

Scarlett R. Miller, PhD

Assistant Professor

Engineering Design and Industrial Engineering

The Pennsylvania State University

213-P Hammond Building

University Park, PA 16802-1401

Office: (814) 863-4143

E-mail: scarlettmiller@xxxxxxx

Research: http://www.engr.psu.edu/britelab

--
Hey everyone,

Bryony and I have been asked by Jeff Rhoads to help organize a new special
event at this year's IDETC with some other volunteers from ASME. Sunday
night of the conference there is going to be a special MiniTalk event, and
we are looking for early career professional and faculty who might be
interested in giving a 10 minute talk. This year's topic is “Dissemination
by Design: The Importance of Effective Communication”.

We need great speakers who have an interesting story to tell. If you are
interested, please send an application to earlycareerengineers@xxxxxxxx
<https://www.linkedin.com/redir/redirect?url=asme%2Eorg&urlhash=CVgI> or
contact Bryony or myself for additional information.

I've included the original flyer below. Note that we have extended the
application deadline, so we would like applications as soon as possible.

Thanks!

-Scott and Bryony

Are you an early career engineer who has insight to share about effective
communication?

“Dissemination by Design: The Importance of Effective Communication”

We are now seeking presenters for the ASMEFutureME Mini-Talk Series, to be
held at the 2015 ASME International Design Engineering and Technical
Conferences & Computers and Information in Engineering Conference
(IDETC/CIE). Share your story about how communication has influenced your
career success.

Example topics could include:
• Effective visual presentations
• Connecting with varied audiences
• Owning the stage
• Building your online presence
• Establishing your professional identity
• Collaboration
• Successful Networking Techniques

WHAT ARE MINI-TALKS? Mini-Talks are 7-10 minute short talks on engineering
and career development topics. Talks provide an opportunity for sharing
experiences and knowledge, while engaging and inspiring the audience. To
view previous Mini-Talks, please visit the website at
www.youtube.com/user/ASMEFutureME
<https://www.linkedin.com/redir/redirect?url=www%2Eyoutube%2Ecom%2Fuser%2FASMEFutureME&urlhash=NPId>
.

WHO SHOULD APPLY? Energetic and passionate early career engineers with
insight into effective engineering communication.

WHY?
• Present in front of a large audience of your peers (130+)
• Be featured on ASME.org
<https://www.linkedin.com/redir/redirect?url=ASME%2Eorg&urlhash=l-aA> and
the ASME FutureME YouTube channel
• Share your experience and knowledge that benefits other engineers
• Showcase skills and gain high-visibility within the profession

WHEN AND WHERE?
ASME 2015 International Design Engineering Technical Conferences &
Computers and Information in Engineering Conference (IDETC/CIE) in Boston,
Massachusetts, Sunday, August 2, 2015 from 5:30 - 7:30 pm.

Nominate yourself or a peer no later than April 6, 2015 by emailing a short
biography and topic summary to earlycareerengineers@xxxxxxxx
<https://www.linkedin.com/redir/redirect?url=asme%2Eorg&urlhash=CVgI>.

All applicants will be contacted no later than May 1, 2015 for follow-up No
ASME Travel Funding is available for participation in this program
Supported by the ASME Board on Career Development

--
Scott Ferguson
Associate Professor