[askdba] Re: Need help with Interview Questions

  • From: Ganesh Raja <ganesh.raja@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: askdba@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 5 Nov 2004 09:42:55 +0000

Rajesh,

Comments Inline.

On Thu, 4 Nov 2004 17:52:07 -0500, Rajesh Puneyani
<rajpuneyani@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi Guys,
>
> Recently I appeared in an interview for a position (after a long
> time), Here are a few questions that got me confused.
>
> Pls. give me your feedback regarding the same.
>
> 1. What are various ways to create a table in one database from
> another database ?
> I would say - Create table as select (over the database link) and
> Export/Import in Table mode.

These are the Best .. I would not go for any other method than this ...

> Any other ?
>
> 2. If a table has 30 Uniform Extents (no size specified) then under
> what circumstances it is good or bad ? Basically - What is the
> advantage of 30 extents over 1 big large extents and what are the
> minuses ?

The Number of Extents do not directly Impact peformance of a Query. [A
Delete / Truncate maybe]. The Only thing u should know is that DFMBRC
does not go beyond an Extent when reading.

> 3.  What are various scenarios which make RMAN the best backup and
> recovery tool ?

The Best Thing i like abt RMAN is Block Level Backup and Block Level
Recovery. You can never do this if you dont use RMAN.

> 4.  what errors did u hit in your most recent DB Recovery procedure ?
> Actually I never had to do a DB recovery from online backup so
> far..Refreshes most of the time...But how to handle such a question ?

I would be quite truthful to them. If you have not done a recovery
than you have a very good stds in place.