[askdba] Re: Merging Databases

  • From: "Subodh Deshpande" <subodh_deshpande@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: askdba@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 07 Oct 2004 05:56:30 -0500

hi rajesh,

indeed nice replied..by justine

am not going in technical details as the effort involved this exercise is
dependednt on how much is the structural difference in the database and
applications..this is what you have to be sure..

and the management may ask you how you are going to synchronise the
applications with one db.

answer may be - a detailed gap analysis report plus report on process
mapping..number of servers presently used, with there hardware sizes, new
servers its cost etc..

how the actual end users will be accesing the data from another locations

answer may be - all the users will have to shift to one locations or present a
new network diagram, you may require lease line, VPN etc be ready for that..

what is the achievement out of this

answer may be all the customer database is at one place..so effective and more
accurate analysis can be done which will be helpful..

down time at different locations, the interdependency of data within the
locations if any will be avoided, which will increse the business hours

maintenace of the applications and database is reduced, so the cost on IT
department is reduced for increased business hours..

after this, management may ask you why not scrap everything and go for
an ERP/CRM..

be ready for those answers..:-)

please correct if am wrong..

good luck..