[askdba] Re: How to tune tables for inserts and Updates?

  • From: "Justin Cave (DDBC)" <jcave@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <askdba@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 1 Oct 2004 17:55:34 -0600

First off, 10,000 transactions per day works out to just 7 transactions
per minute, which probably isn't going to put much of a load on the
system unless you go with some absurd settings.

Are you using locally managed tablespaces?  That will significantly
reduce the costs of extent management.  I would also tend to go with
automatic segment space management (ASSM), particularly if there are
UPDATE operations.

Separating tables into different tablespaces will probably not have a
performance impact unless you are putting the data on separate physical
disks.  If you are at HP, I'm pretty sure your databases are attached to
a SAN which is heavily striped, so different tablespaces will not
translate to any sort of performance benefit.

If you have data that is inserted, updated for a period of time, and
then becomes static, partitioning the tables may be a significant
performance benefit.  If you will be keeping the data forever, it will
probably also simplify administration.

Justin Cave  <jcave@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Distributed Database Consulting, Inc.
http://www.ddbcinc.com/askDDBC