[askdba] Re: Database Link between different Oracle versions

  • From: Nisar Tareen <ntareen@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: askdba@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 23 Nov 2004 08:13:22 -0800 (PST)

Todd,

I did not get your point.  Sorry.

If I understood correct you mean to say that you can execute DDL,  then It will
come under the security banner,  How you create the link and by which user and
what authorities you had given to that user who is using a link,  If you have a
public link then there is  cost you have to under stand, it is not  a  link
issue it is a security issue and a DBA's knowledge issue.

I hope I am clear now.

Nisar Tareen

"Pepling, Todd C." <tpepling@xxxxxxx> wrote:
Actually you can execute DDL over a DB link. Here's an example for a db
link I named TODD:

SQL> exec dbms_utility.EXEC_DDL_STATEMENT@todd('create table toddtest1 as
select * from dba_users where 1=0');

Elapsed: 00:00:01.08
SQL>
SQL> desc toddtest1
ERROR:
ORA-04043: object toddtest1 does not exist

SQL> desc toddtest1@todd
Name Null? Type
----------------------------------------------------- --------
------------------------------------
USERNAME NOT NULL VARCHAR2(30)
USER_ID NOT NULL NUMBER
PASSWORD VARCHAR2(30)
ACCOUNT_STATUS NOT NULL VARCHAR2(32)
LOCK_DATE DATE
EXPIRY_DATE DATE
DEFAULT_TABLESPACE NOT NULL VARCHAR2(30)
TEMPORARY_TABLESPACE NOT NULL VARCHAR2(30)
CREATED NOT NULL DATE
PROFILE NOT NULL VARCHAR2(30)
INITIAL_RSRC_CONSUMER_GROUP VARCHAR2(30)
EXTERNAL_NAME
VARCHAR2(4000)

SQL>

 Meet the all-new My Yahoo! ? Try it today!