[asi_xc] Re: Soaring

  • From: "Brian S." <bfstvns@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: asi_xc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 27 May 2019 08:37:18 -0700

The Reno soaring forecast sometimes will mention the zephyr under the
forecast discussion.  windy.com does seems to be a to be a little helpful.
The point forecast tool on SkySight looks like it might really work if
accurate. There has to be a Westerly wind forecast for the zephyr to set up
from my experience. A moderate Westerly makes the Zephyr more likely.
Returning from the South if the clouds all stop around Mineral Peak there
is a good chance the zephyr is working. Minden and Carson City AWOS will
normally confirm this.
Latest club standings.
A good explanation of why flying a triangle will gain you more OLC points.
Webinar coming up on using SkySight. The SSA will post this on their web
site in a couple weeks to view at your leisure.

Fly Safe, Brian

On Sun, May 26, 2019 at 8:14 PM Larry Suter <ljsuter@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Oops.... I forgot to change my club to Air Sailing for the times I fly out
of ASI. I'll correct that. Another part of my early season shakedown
(speaking of which, I found the O2 equipment that wasn't in my glider
Friday :-)

Since I'm planning to arrive Friday afternoon, earlier I took a look at
Saturday's forecast on Val's Sierra RASP

It also looks promising.

WRT the Zephyr, windy.com might provide info on that. At the past two
Thermal Camps, I though it did a decent job. Also, shouldn't the KRNO TAF
be a good tool for figuring out if and when there'll be a significant
Zephyr? Worth testing all these forecast tools.


On Sun, May 26, 2019 at 8:03 PM Brian S. <bfstvns@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Not many OLC points earned this weekend for Air Sailing with the bad
weather. We are still just barely hanging on to 8th place Club points.
Saturday David managed 232 pts and Brian 241 pts. Larry also had a good
flight for NCSA.
I think I possibly could have managed another 50 points with an earlier
launch. I had texted the request for the tow pilot at 9 am Saturday morning
for an 11 am launch but it did not help.  In the future if we want an early
launch maybe we should request one a day or two ahead using the tow pilot
request. Any other ideas ?
Wednesday the soaring weather looks like the start of an improving trend
for thermal soaring. Long range Saturday looks very good on SkySight. Stay
Ready !
One area of the forecast that has always been troublesome for me is
prediction of the time and strength of the Washoe Zephyr. It can be hard to
make a return to Air Sailing from the South if the Zephyr washes out the
North end of the Pine Nuts. Will know by the end of summer if SkySight can
help. Any one else had much luck forecasting the Zephyr ?

Good weather is on the way, Fly Safe, Brian

Attachment: ScreenHunter_192 May. 27 07.59.jpg
Description: JPEG image

Attachment: ScreenHunter_193 May. 27 08.05.jpg
Description: JPEG image

Attachment: ScreenHunter_194 May. 27 08.09.jpg
Description: JPEG image

Other related posts: