[asi_xc] Re: 8/10-11?

  • From: "JAMES HAMILTON" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "hampilot" for DMARC)
  • To: <asi_xc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 13 Aug 2019 22:10:37 +0000 (UTC)

 I will go out tomorrow and Thursday Brian.
JLHH4
    On Tuesday, August 13, 2019, 12:11:17 PM PDT, Brian S. <bfstvns@xxxxxxxxx> 
wrote:  
 
 Just need one more person for Thursday to request a tow pilot. Any takers ?
On Tue, Aug 13, 2019, 8:02 AM Brian S. <bfstvns@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Change in forecast for Thursday. 
Higher peak temperatures expected Thursday and a better soaring forecast. 
Thursday may now be the best day and SkySight shows a later developing day with 
good soaring till about 6:30 !
What do you think Omri ? 
Fly Safe, Brian
On Mon, Aug 12, 2019 at 8:19 PM Brian S. <bfstvns@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

The 1:30 time for Gene on Wed tows no longer shows up. Will plan on calling 
Gene Wed morning to let him know we would like tows starting at noon. The 
forecast still looks good. There were cumulus today from Mt Siegal going South.
What does not look good is a cooling trend going into next weekend.
Fly Safe, Brian
On Mon, Aug 12, 2019 at 8:14 AM Brian S. <bfstvns@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Wednesday still looks pretty good . The point forecast shows soaring should 
start getting good about noon. Cumulus do start later in the afternoon 
especially to the South.. I will put in a request tonight for a tow about noon 
if the forecast holds till this evening. 1:30 is a little late for a good XC 
flight. Not sure if the day is good enough to take time off work but it should 
be better than yesterday.
Fly Safe, Brian
On Sun, Aug 11, 2019 at 8:03 PM Omri Kalinsky <omri@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

  According to the XCSkies GFS and NAM models, both Tue and Wed should be blue 
up until you get S of Lake Tahoe. This is for 14:00, but at least the clouds 
should be near class A or above. We'll see how it actually pans out. I didn't 
ask Gene about Wed actually, he just threw it out there as he said several 
people already requested it.  He also already put his name on the towplane 
schedule for Wed, but it shows up for 13:30, so I don't know if that's an error 
or it really is late tows only.
 
 On 8/11/19 7:47 PM, Brian S. wrote:
  
 I will plan on Tues or Wed if the forecast holds.  Lets wait till Monday 
morning forecast to make the tow pilot request. 
  On SkySight Cumulus depth seems to be the best prediction of cumulus. It 
seems to be a little conservative in its prediction from my experience.  I also 
only have a few months of experience with SkySight so still learning.  Cumulus 
cloud base fprecast is helpful also but I normally use the point forecast tool 
and check it in several spots when planning a trip to the South like Mineral 
Peak, Mt Siegal and Mt Paterson etc. 
  Fly Safe, Brian  
  On Sun, Aug 11, 2019 at 5:41 PM Omri Kalinsky <omri@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
  
  Gene said he'd tow on Wed. If it's still forecast to be good on Tue, I'll 
take a day off and join you. I refilled Oxygen yesterday, it had about 1200 PSI 
 as I left it.
 Today turned out pretty crappy (at least for me). I shared one halfway decent 
thermal with Jimmy over the field and I left at 7500' thinking there was better 
lift ahead under a scraggily cu. I didn't find anything where I could actually 
get a positive rate on the averager all the way to the  ground. Ended up 
landing after about 30 minutes of flight and just derigged as it was already 
almost 14:00. Jimmy was still up when I left the field at 15:45, hopefully he 
at least had a good day.
 
 On 8/11/19 10:51 AM, Brian S. wrote:
  
 Wednesday looks pretty good on SkySight. Light winds with some cumulus 
expected in the local area and more to the South.  No tow pilot as yet but we 
could request one if two or three want to fly. 
   Hope we have Oxygen also as I also am a little low.  
  Fly Safe, Brian  
  On Sun, Aug 11, 2019 at 10:11 AM Brian S. <bfstvns@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
  
 This was pretty typical for summertime wave . There was too much thermal 
activity for a weak wave to set up properly. Sometimes late in the afternoon as 
thermal activity dies a nice wave can set up and run right into the evening. I 
have always wondered what it would be like to be up there with sunset 
lenticulars . From the ground they look awesome !!! 
  On Sat, Aug 10, 2019 at 8:52 PM Omri Kalinsky <omri@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
  
  That's indeed what I got today. I think I hit marginal wave once or twice but 
it was so patchy and the winds were too  southerly so I couldn't keep it long 
enough to get well above the clouds and into consistent laminar wave. Ridges 
were working nicely though later in the afternoon. I'm tied down for the night, 
so I'll give it a go tomorrow.
 
 https://www.onlinecontest.org/olc-3.0/gliding/flightinfo.html?dsId=7513933
 
 On 8/10/19 7:55 AM, Brian S. wrote:
  
 SkySight is showing weak wave for Saturday and expect some rotor and broken 
thermals. I think it the wave will be disorganized. 
    Sunday the winds calm down but a mediocre blue day expected. 
  Fly Safe, Brian   
  On Fri, Aug 9, 2019 at 5:54 PM Omri Kalinsky <omri@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
  
  So tomorrow my guess is we should get weak to moderate wave, I'm seeing 30-35 
knot SW winds at 18k throughout the entire region. Not sure if it'll blue or 
lenny wave. The convective lift will only go to the low  teens in our area, so 
I don't think the convection will interfere much with the wave, especially 
early. Some chance of rain just W of us early around noon. The winds will 
remain throughout the day so  with a late landing, a nice long distance flight 
is a real possibility.
 Sunday looks like a weak thermal day. Probably blue, again lift going into the 
low teens. 15 knots or so of SW winds aloft, enough to make the thermals harder 
to work but most likely not enough for wave.
 I plan on giving it a go both days as usual.
 
 Happy Soaring,
     SL aka Omri
 
 On 8/9/19 5:19 PM, David Prather (Redacted sender dwprather68 for DMARC) wrote:
  
 It looks like we have a front moving through. The RASP and NAM show high 
southwest winds in the boundary layer and relatively low max attainable 
altitudes. 
  There is indication from the RASP 500 mb vertical velocity that there could 
be wave. What are you all seeing and who is planning to fly this weekend? 
  -David
 
 Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android  
 
  
  
 
  
  
  
 
  
  
 
 



  

Other related posts: