[artworks] sprites: old format vs new

  • From: Jim Nagel (lists) <jim2.nagel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: artworks@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 31 Mar 2009 10:30:22 +0100

i'm importing a scan that i want to trace (separate thread to come).
Artworks 2.8 complains about new-format sprite with 256 colours or
less, please import as old-format sprite.  stupid me tries every
sprittish app i have.  WHAT will export in old format?

and what's the difference between old and new format anyway, and when
did new format come in?  i must have been out at the loo for that bit
of the movie.

i got round it by exporting from Paint as JPeg.  unfortunately all
sorts of stray grey pixels show up in Artworks, what JPeg folk call
artefacts (dictionary: "a product of human art or workmanship").
doesn't matter in this case because i'm going to trace it then throw
the scan away.

how do i convert a sprite from new format to old next time this
happens?

what i have: RiscPC, OS 4.39, Paint 2.56, Artworks 2.82, David
Pilling's !scan 1.24, ...

curious that Impression (1996) imports the new-format sprite but
Artworks won't.

--
>>> no need to reply my entire message back to me ;=]
Jim Nagel                        www.archivemag.co.uk
   Abbey Press   32 Norbins Rd        (01458) 83 3603
   Glastonbury   BA6 9JG         pocket 0797 415 3861