Re: [artworks] importing sprites

  • From: Martin Wuerthner <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: artworks@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2006 23:52:00 +0100

In message <78dc288d4e.charles@xxxxxxxxxxx>
          charles <charles@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> In message <6f03128d4e.martin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>           Martin Wuerthner <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> In message <ba55018d4e.charles@xxxxxxxxxxx>
>>           charles <charles@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>>> The sprite I want to see in ArtWorks 2.61 (and see in !paint quite
>>> clearly on the same machine/mode) tells me in the spritepool info that
>>> it is 32bppCMYK, 644 x 647, 1666716 bytes and in billions of colours.
>>
>> That sounds unlikely. Iyonix !Paint cannot display CMYK sprites. Paint
>> displays it as if it was an RGB sprite.
>>
>> So, if the sprite in question really is a CMYK sprite, then ArtWorks
>> displays it correctly while Paint will not.
>
> Sprite info from !paint says it is colours "D". Without mask or
> palette.

Colours "D"? Maybe that should give you a clue that Paint does not
really understand the format of this sprite. Iyonix Paint does not
understand CMYK sprites. Select Paint does, displays Colours "CMYK"
and displays a black rectangle, too, just as ArtWorks.

>> If you see it correctly in Paint then maybe the sprite really is a 16M
>> colour RGB sprite that just happens to claim it is CMYK.
>>
>>> Dragging the sprite into !Artworks just gives me a black rectangle.
>>
>> So, maybe that is what it is?
>
> No, it is a Leprosy Mission logo in white and two blues...

Yes, that is what it would be if its sprite type field was set to 6
(16M colours RGB), but unfortunately, it is set to 7 (CMYK). In
addition, the "K" components of all pixels contain &FF, i.e., 100%
Black. So, ArtWorks is perfectly right in displaying a black
rectangle. What program did you save the sprite from?

A program that incorrectly interpreted the sprite data as 16M colour
RGB (and ignored the non-zero values in the reserved bytes) would
display a white and blue logo, but that would be entirely wrong.