Re: [artworks] handling SVG files

  • From: Jim Nagel (lists) <jim2.nagel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: artworks@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 28 Sep 2009 20:55:36 +0100

Martin Wuerthner  wrote on 28 Sep :

> In message <6511f0a150.jim@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>           Jim Nagel (lists) <jim2.nagel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> what's the best route for dealing with an SVG file in an Acorn
>> document?  (in my case at the moment, in Impression).

> Convert to PDF using non-RISC OS software (e.g., Inkscape), then
> import into ArtWorks. That retains text, clipping, transparency and
> graduated fills.

that worked nicely.  thanks.

(Inkscape 0.46 was a 33M download for my XP laptop, and after
installation takes up 146M!  i did a count on !Artworks, and am
surprised it's grown to 14M; it used to be more like 2M last time i
checked.  but is Inkscape going to do 10 times as much as Artworks
now?)

>>  attempting to scale it down affects only the horizontal dimension,
>> even though aspect ratio is locked.  what's going on?

> No idea. Scaling down works just fine here. How did you try to do it?

<blush>  my stupidity, wanting to do what should be a quick job in a
hurry.  i changed the "100%" to 10%, but of course that's the aspect
ratio, not the zoom.

>> i note that Artworks will export SVG.  any chance it will ever be able
>> to *import* SVG?  (now that vector art at last seems to be turning up
>> in the non-Acorn world.)

> Well possible, I have been wanting to do it for ages. It has taken a
> long time for SVG images to gain acceptance on the web, far longer
> than I expected. Their use in Wikipedia has improved the situation a
> lot.

good to hear that!  it certainly HAS taken a long long time for the
web to discover vector images, which we in Acornland have taken for
granted since Day One.

--
Jim Nagel           [ www.archivemag.co.uk > Offer ]