Re: [artworks] curving a rectangle

  • From: Martin Wuerthner <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: artworks@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 08 Feb 2012 19:47:55 +0100

In message <5c216a5e52.jim@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
          Jim Nagel <aw@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I have a rectangle of colour as a background for a collection of
> objects and want to turn it into a more interesting irregular shape.
> So I select it and do "Make shapes"; I can now move the existing four
> points about and add more.

> However, all the points insist on being "sharp curve" (F4 in the info
> bar) and "straight line" (F6).  I try to get "smooth curve" (F5) and
> "curved line" (F7) to no avail.

> This applies even to new points that I add while the Curve tool is
> selected.

> Is this to be expected, or am I again misunderbestanding something?

Yes, this is to be expected. The Curve vs. Line tool just controls
what kind of segment is added when you add to the end of an open path.
When you add an additional point in the middle of a path, then you
effectively subdivide an existing segment, so both subdivided parts
retain their type. In other words, if you click on a line to add a new
point in the middle of it, both new segments are lines and if you
click on a curve, both new segments are curves. You can turn a line
segment into a curve or vice versa by selecting both endpoints (first
one with Select, second one with Adjust) and then clicking on the
"Line" or "Curve" control in the Info Bar (or press F6/F7).

To switch between "Sharp" and "Smooth" corners, just select a single
corner, but please note that this only makes a difference if at least
one of the segments is a curve. "Smooth curve" (F5) makes sure that
even when you edit the segments, they always have the same gradient at
the anchor point, so there is a smooth transition. That only makes
sense if at least one of the segments is a curve.

This is all explained in the ArtWorks 1 manual.