Re: [artworks] Xara <--> ArtWorks

  • From: Philip Pemberton <philpem@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: artworks@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2006 12:14:26 +0100

In message <77b85e134e.martin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
          Martin Wuerthner <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> This is not straightforward because of the licence of the code. Please
> bear in mind that Xara has been released under the GPL. Therefore, its
> code can only be used in other GPL projects. So, XaraLX code cannot be
> used in ArtWorks directly, but it would be possible to create an
> ArtWorks plug-in module based on some Xara code and release it under
> the GPL.

The big problem I see with the ArtWorks module system is that it doesn't
appear to be possible to write code in e.g. C, then link it into a module.
The whole module system seems to be geared towards ARM assembler development,
which is pretty impractical for the scripting engine I had planned.

I'm sure there's some way to do it, it's just that I haven't found the magic
incantation that makes GCC and AW work together :)

--
Phil.                         | Kitsune: Acorn RiscPC SA202 64M+6G ViewFinder
philpem@xxxxxxxxxxxxx         | Cheetah: Athlon64 3200+ A8VDeluxeV2 512M+100G