Re: [artworks] Unpredictable control point behaviour

  • From: rickman@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: artworks@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2007 23:11:39 +0100

In message <230fcdb84e.zen44412@xxxxxxxxx>
          Simon Smith <simon_smith@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi
>
> I'm noticing some inconsistent behaviour when trying to manually shorten the
> lines in the linked artworks file. http://www.simon-smith.org/Artworks.zip
> (note capital letter in URL.)
>
> My method has been to zoom in to 4000%, select the desired line segment,
> then select the Curve tool and click slightly inside the line length at each
> end, thus adding two extra control points to each line. Then I delete the
> two outermost control points, thereby slightly shortening the line without
> otherwise distorting it.
>
> This works fine about 75-90% of the time. (See Screen2.) The other 10-25% of
> the time, clicking near the end control point creates the startpoint of a
> brand new line, which is not what I want. (See Screen3.) If the grid is
> turned on, the new control point may appear some distance away from where
> you clicked, especially at high zoom values. Usually you can work around
> this by clicking progressively further away (Screen4) until Artworks decides
> what you really want and obliges.
>
> Sometimes reversing the path order will get Artworks to behave as expected,
> and let you place the new control point closer to where you originally
> wanted it.
>
> Sometimes Artworks decides you want to extend the line, not shorten it, and
> you get a sort of 'sharp tick'. Depending on the angle and curve of the
> line, it may align neatly enough with what you have already drawn that you
> don't notice. Other times the shape of the outline will change enough
> that you can tell something funny has happened. Other times the line will
> 'jump' slightly from its original position, spoiling the smooth overlap that
> you originally had. The fix is to undo and retry by clicking in
> slightly different positions until the program does what you want it to.
>

> While these 'bugs' are most noticeable at very high zoom factors, I have
> encountered them at view sizes in the 100-400% range as well.
>
> Can anyone explain what is going on here? Why does Artworks sometimes let
> you modify the control points of an existing line, other times insist on
> starting a new line for you? Is it a genuine bug, or a subtletly of the UI
> that I have failed to grasp?

Simon

I confirm the behaviour you describe, but have noticed that a new line
is started only when the click is not on the imaginary line between
the two existing points.

If I click on the imaginary line it nearly always adds a point. The
times when it doesn't are probably because I missed slightly.

When the magnification is lower there is probably less margin for
error.

Just keep your finger poised over f8 when you click:-)

John

--
John Rickman - writing from A9home machine
http://rickman.orpheusweb.co.uk