Re: [artworks] UniPrint Printing Problem

  • From: Martin Wuerthner <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: artworks@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 24 May 2011 12:41:36 +0200

In message <d03c05d851.signwork@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
          Nick K <signwork@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> In message <2221fdd751.martin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>           Martin Wuerthner <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> The fact that it does not happen with other applications is caused by
>> the fact that ArtWorks still uses the RISC OS 2 printing protocol.

> Is this too complex to fix? After all RISC OS2 is decades obsolete

RISC OS 2 as a system, of course, but that does not make its protocols
obsolete. Many of our current APIs and protocols are still those
introduced with RISC OS 2. For instance, the protocols for loading and
saving data have not changed since RISC OS 2.

A new enhanced printing protocol was introduced with RISC OS 3, but
not all applications support it and !Printers still supports
applications that use the old protocol.

This problem is not directly related to any limitation of the old
protocol, it is just a printer driver bug that happens to go away if
the new protocol is used. If it was easy to do I would have upgraded
ArtWorks years ago, but this is a lot of work and few users would
really notice the improvements.