Re: [artworks] Transparent background

  • From: Richard Ashbery <riscos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: artworks@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 21 Jul 2008 07:26:44 +0100

In article <4fc1d20c8asmartgroups@xxxxxxxxx>, Tim Hill
<smartgroups@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> In article <4fc175a766kell@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Kell
> <kell@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > > You could instead save a sprite of the blue text against a grey
> > > rectangle and use Intergif to then select the grey as the
> > > background colour and create a transparent GIF. I found this
> > > solution when getting as frustrated as you.  ;-)

> > Yes, but how do you find out which is the right colour to be the
> > backgound? If you load it as a sprite then you can see which
> > colour number is the background, but I don't know how to do the
> > same with a GIF: therefore it's a bit hit and miss.

> Intergif !Help says:

> (Hint: to find out what pixel-value a sprite pixel has, load the
>     sprite into Paint, ensure its palette window is showing, click
>     Menu over the pixel you want, and choose "Paint->Select
>     colour".)

> And it's true!

I'm sure I did the same thing a couple of years ago but did not
observe the white anti-aliasing artefact around the text - but I think
I must have used DrawWorks to create the GIF. In AW if the text or
shape is exported as a masked GIF the artefact is always there against
the web page background colour. This makes no difference irrespective
of the Palette and Error diffusion options.

The suggestion to use InterGif seems to work (anti-aliasing artifact
is considerably reduced) - providing the exported Sprite is unmasked and
the rectangle has None applied to its outline.

Excellent suggestion from Steve - use the sample icon (pipette) in AW
colour window to sample the colour of the web page background before
exporting the text/rectangle.

I wish there was an easier method - although this works it is quite
complicated - anyone know why it occurs?

Regards

Richard