Re: [artworks] Sprite masks and hidden sprites

  • From: Tim Powys-Lybbe <tim@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: artworks@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 12 May 2008 21:18:40 +0100

In message of 12 May, Martin Wuerthner <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> In message <cfdb649e4f.tim@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>           Tim Powys-Lybbe <tim@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

<snip plus a few more later on>

> Here, you mentioned printing whereas further down you referred to PDF
> export. You probably want to use PDF export in this case, which
> handles masked sprites fine. However, if you were to print a sprite
> with a mask then please bear in mind that the RISC OS PostScript
> printer driver ignores the mask! This is one of the things that a
> PostScript 3 driver would finally cope with.
>
> > I have now found that GView gets the image right - so I can rely on PDF
> > export.
>
> Yes, definitely. Apart from a few exotic things PDF export handles
> everything ArtWorks supports.

And I later exported the PDF output to a Mac and printed via its drivers
totally satisfactorily, to the same networked printer.

If the RISC OS Postscript 3 driver eventually sees the light of day,
there will be much rejoicing here.

> > Does anyone know of an easier way to update sprites in the sprite
> > pool?
>
> Unfortunately not. This is one of the things on the wish list.

Many thanks for the above elucidation and helpful comments.  Again I
would be most grateful if the above modifications happen.

--
Tim Powys-Lybbe                                          tim@xxxxxxxxx
             For a miscellany of bygones: http://powys.org/