Re: [artworks] Sprite masks and hidden sprites

  • From: Tim Powys-Lybbe <tim@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: artworks@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 12 May 2008 17:24:23 +0100

The plot thickens...

In message of 12 May, Tim Powys-Lybbe <tim@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> First the finished artwork looks fine.  Most of the sprites have masks
> which are used to give transparent backgrounds to them.  But some,
> which definitely have these transparent bits, do not print them out
> correctly but show them as squares of white on the paper.  I have
> repeated this to ensure that I was using sprites with transparent
> masks and it still happened. Any ideas?

I have now found that GView gets the image right - so I can rely on PDF
export.  But !PDF makes a right mess of the sprites with transparent
areas: in particular it shows up all the original gubbins that was
'deleted' by areas of transparency.  I thought I could make it a bit
better by changing all the transparent areas to white and then back to
transparent, thus getting rid of the gubbins.  Then, I though, it would
be easy to replace the sprite in the sprite pool and see what effect
this had on !PDF.

But it is not possible to replace sprites in the sprite pool.  Or I
can't see anything in the manuals.  So I will have to delete all uses of
each offending sprite and replace each one individually, a mere 79 items
to deal with.  Does anyone know of an easier way to update sprites in
the sprite pool?

> Second I find I have a few sprites in the sprite pool that I cannot
> see on the artwork and yet when I try to delete them fromt he sprite
> pool, I am told they are in use.  Obviously they may be behind some
> other colour but I have tried putting such areas to the back and still
> these redundant sprites don't appear.  Any ideas on how to find where
> they are so that I can delete them - and reduce the file size,
> currently a mere 15M (it was 30)?

Well I have already rebuilt the whole thing once today.  This got rid of
the hidden sprites and the file is now down to a mere 8M.

Should anyone wonder at the need for sprites, it is because these are
filched from scans of drawings by real artists (commissioned by
relatives so there is no copyright problem) and show a level of skill
that I do not possess.  Perhaps I could convert them to drawfiles but I
do not know of a program to do this and handle more than 256 colours.

I've learnt quite a bit about ArtWorks today and yesterday.

--
Tim Powys-Lybbe                                          tim@xxxxxxxxx
             For a miscellany of bygones: http://powys.org/