Re: [artworks] Scaling a circle to grid lock

  • From: Martin Wuerthner <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: artworks@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 01 Jun 2010 20:58:07 +0200

In message <51209d9e8briscos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
          Richard Ashbery <riscos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> Try using the elipse tool and setting the radius as you want.

>> I used this method to get a set of 10 concentric rings:
>> Create first circle
>> Clone it and modify the radius of the clone to the next size

> Do you mean switch to Scale tool and drag on any corner handle to
> resize the clone - I would agree that this works but to make the gap
> between each concentric circle to be say exactly 1mm is next to
> impossible without lock-to-grid.

I think what Anthony meant was changing the numeric radius values.
Create the first circle whichever way you want, then clone it and in
the ellipse tool add 1mm to both radius values, e.g., if the major and
minor radius values are 30mm, then change them to 31mm. That way you
get exact results without needing the Scale tool at all.

Another, even quicker way to achieve the same is to create the circle
without an outline, then clone it (Ctrl-K) and in the Resizer tool add
2mm to the value in the size field and press Return. Then, press
Ctrl-K again, add 2mm to the value in the size field and press Return,
etc. That creates a sequence of concentric circles exactly 1mm apart.

You really should do that with a circle without an outline though to
get full accuracy. If desired you can give the circles outlines
afterwards.