Re: [artworks] SVG export in Art Works

  • From: Ned Abell <nedabell@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: artworks@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 06 Jul 2015 14:33:25 +0100

On 06 Jul, Richard Ashbery <riscos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

In article <mpro.nqyp1m108yi9b006z.tim@xxxxxxxxx>, Tim
Powys-Lybbe <tim@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I have been finding that the Firefox browser on a Mac
does not handle PDF files used as graphics, so I am
having to abandon using PDF to put vector shapes on the
web.

However SVG does work on Mac Safari and Firefox. But
Firefox won't handle SVG files with replicated images
properly. So the answer is to set the flag "Export
replications statically' in ArtWorks.

Yes I see what you mean (if I understand you correctly) it
doesn't remember this setting (actually 'Expand
replications statically') once the SVG has been saved.
There are no AW configuration options I can see that would
help.

I have a few score SVG files to generate from the source
ArtWorks drawings, and I have a difficulty with manual
batch operations: I don't always set all the settings
correctly for each iteration.

The answer to this is to amend the defaults for the SVG
export window. Is there any way of doing this?

I may be wrong but probably not.

PS: I know I have yet to test compatibility on Windows
machines, but that is the next step after doing Mac
machines. It will require a collaborator as I have no
Windows machines left, not even on an emulator.

Carried out a quick check on an AW SVG file (containing
Replicates) by sending to Windows 7 and Firefox displays it.
You might try Inkscape (cross platform) as an interim and see
if it helps?

--
besters..
Ned Abell