Re: [artworks] Putting objects around a circle

  • From: Simon Smith <simon_smith@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: artworks@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2012 03:40:33 +0100

In message <e6a15e8552.signwork@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
          Nick K <signwork@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> In message <15817.194.106.46.76.1335171033.squirrel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> .co.uk>
>           "Andrew Conroy" <a.m.conroy@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > Is there an easy/obvious way to place objects around the circumference of
> > a circle? Essentially I need to place a number of circles around the
> > circumference of a larger circle, to make a circle of smaller circles.
>
> try Vector it has a radiate tool which I would like to see in Artworks
>
> nick k

Create little shape. Create big circle. Align little shape right
(horizontally) and middle (vertically). Group big and little together.
Clone. Rotate clone by the right number of degrees (about the cetre of the
big circle). Clone. Rotate second clone. Clone. Rotate third clone. And so
on. Once done, ungroup and delete all the unneeded big circles.

I don't know if that counts as 'easy', but it's accurate and works for any
angles. You can even rotate different sub-shapes by different amounts.
Possible speedups include cloning the shapes at, say, 0, 90, 180 and 270
degrees, which reduces the total number of operations by a factor of about
4. Or clone them every 60 degrees, or whatever. If you want to place the
sub-shapes every 17.5 degrees or something, it is harder to optimise. If you
want the first circle to be offset by some angle, then rotate it before you
start cloning. I suspect a tool like WIBLI might be handy for setting up
clone-and-rotate as a single operation - not quite sure if WIBLI handles
that exact case, but I presume it could help.

--
Simon Smith     |       Once more unto now