Re: [artworks] Preview of new arrowheads

  • From: Eddie Lord <riscos@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: artworks@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 09 May 2006 10:12:18 +0100

In message <3ac7ee234e.martin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
          Martin Wuerthner <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote thus:
> In message <e55de9234e.eddie@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>           Eddie Lord <riscos@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> In message <e2f1e1234e.martin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>>           Martin Wuerthner <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote thus:

[snip]

>> How about arrows automatically placed in the middle of the line.
>>
>> Ideal for maths type drawings - parallel lines etc.
>> eg
>> -----------||------------
>> or
>> ---------->>------------
>> Well you get the idea:-)
>
> Not quite, at least I cannot recall having seen such a notation for
> parallel lines. I can imagine uses for having an arrow in the middle
> of a line though (i.e., more precisely, in the middle of the
> first/last line segment in case of a start/end arrow). The current
> structure would allow that to be added quite easily.
>
> If such an option was offered, it would look more like:
> ---------->->------------

That would be fine and very useful.

> I.e., the line would continue under the "arrowheads". I cannot see how
> you would do anything like you suggested above:
> -----------||------------
> because we do not have an arrowhead with two parallel lines. If you
> used the existing "perpendicular line" start *and* end arrows with the
> "middle" option on a single line, they would just end up on top of
> each other because the "middle" of the line is the same seen from the
> start and the end.

OK - I see the logic of that.

The use of ---||--- is used to show that lines are of equal length.

ie
---------|----------

If you make the system to have user definable arrows then I presume
this will not be a problem - good for the next release perhaps.

--
Best Regards
Eddie