Re: [artworks] PostScript3

  • From: DitUnDat@xxxxxxxxx
  • To: artworks@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 19 May 2006 11:56:33 +0200

In message <4e291ebac6gary@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
          Gary Locock <gary@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Martin announced at Wakefield that he was about to develop a PS3 driver in
> collaboration with John Tytgat, to which I just want to say -excellent news!

[snip]

> Sadly, although the existing drivers work, they have several limitations, due
> in large part to the early versions of PS they employ; an important
> limitation is their inability to handle transparency above 256 colours, and
> very slow performance in 256 colours.  IIUIC, PS3 should resolve these and
> other issues.

The biggest downside of the current PS2 driver is *how* it includes
images in colour mode. I did send a print with the odd big sprite to a
printer and their Postscript RIP had real problems with it. When I
checked with RiScript building up the images was extremely slow.

I then tried
a) just black/white
b) JPEGs embedded in ArtWorks images instead
And in both cases the problem was gone.

So for that a better PS driver is very welcome too!

--
Herbert

Herbert zur Nedden
German Archimedes Group http://www.gag.de

Herausgeber DER deutschen RISC OS-Zeitschrift.