Re: [artworks] Positioning a simple rectangle

  • From: Brian Bailey <bbailey@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: artworks@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 23 Apr 2009 08:32:58 +0100

In article <mpro.kiime70003t17005l.tim@xxxxxxxxx>,
   Tim Powys-Lybbe <tim@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I continue with my heraldry kick but have started again with a new
> design.

> The core of the design is lots of little boxes each containing a design
> of some sort.  The critical thing about these little boxes is that they
> should all be the same size and precisely lined up.

> I create a rectangle with the rectangle tool, though with the fill
> colour set to none.

> View > Grid Lock is ON and Shown.

> I draw a rectangle.

> I then reshape and position the rectangle to precisely the size and
> shape that I want.  All this needs is that the opposite corners are each
> moved to the appropriate grid points and they are automatically  locked
> to those.

> Stage one of building up the grid of boxes is to copy (CTRL-C) this
> rectangle and then paste (CTRL-V) it in a suitable place.

> Just as a check I move the rectangle to be on top of the one that it
> copies.  This can only be done, of course, in steps of the grid.

> But the new rectangle is not in the same place as the original.  Nor is
> it if I to CTRL-P to 'Pull onto grid'; in fact CTRL-P does not move it
> at all.

> This is particularly visible at a magnification of 600%.  The line
> thickness is 2 pts.

I think that is where your problem lies. I met this one some time ago.
Make sure that your line thickness is '0' to start with and edit the line
thickness later, once everything is locked in the right place. You should
then have an accurate layout. Allow for the final line thickness in your
final layout. Best of luck.