Re: [artworks] More AW Drawing Aids

  • From: Richard Ashbery <riscos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: artworks@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 18 Jun 2011 12:16:10 +0100

In article <8f497be451.signwork@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Nick K
<signwork@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> In message <51e45bd5c7riscos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> Richard Ashbery
>           <riscos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

[snip]

> > Excuse my lack of understanding Nick - I'm not sure I know what
> > you mean by the first two. For me an actual graphic is so much
> > easier to understand - I don't suppose you have an example.

> I will try to explain better

>      I have noticed that when using a thicker outline to achieve a
>      bolder effect there can be distortions on certain angles, not
>      to mention unwanted protruding points in complex shapes
>      usually from opposite inverse angles. Editing these is time
>      consuming and sometimes impossible without distorting

Yes - now I know what you mean - unexpected artifacts from angles -
I've suffered these.

> The second is that when using the 'outline' method the thicker line
> is across both sides of the edge and not from the edge outward as
> a contour would produce, Now some would say just klone the shape
> and put the outline behind at double the thickness - however when
> you apply some moulds or distortions the line stays the same when
> it should vary in thickness in order to give the illusion of depth

When scaling a circle - outline thickness increases when making circle
larger, conversely thickness decreases when dragging the circle
smaller. If this were possible with the Envelope tool the "Illusion of
depth" would be created. Have I understood you correctly?

> >> * Create graduated fills, textures and photo images in (thick)
> >> lines

> > That's one I'd missed - I've often thought how useful that would
> > be.

> >> * create offset shadows with repel lines around the main objects

> >> the feather tool while nice - might be painfully slow in use - ??

> > What a shame :-( I wonder if the slow processing speed also
> > effects a feathered shadow were Martin to implement it?

> I think Martin is the best one to comment on the processing speed

Yes - of course.

Richard