Re: [artworks] Magnetism

  • From: Martin Wuerthner <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: artworks@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2009 15:05:34 +0100

In message <503430d1f7kell@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
          Kell Gatherer <kell@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> In article <ab342b3450.martin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
>    Martin Wuerthner <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> In message <50342ad3c0kell@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>>           Kell Gatherer <kell@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>>> Where might I find a description of what a magnetic layer actually
>>> does?

>> The manual would be a good start. :-)

>> ArtWorks 2 manual, Chapter 4 "Object handling", Section "Magnetic
>> objects".

> That's not in the manual I have (Quick Guide 2.20 which is an Impression
> document.

That feature was added later, so of course it is not in the manual for
version 2.20. You need the latest manual.

> I did a text search for "magnet"). I can't see a copy of the
> manual inside any of the upgrade zip files I have, and I don't see a link
> on the website. Is there a downloads page?

Yes, the very page you got your current version from. There, you can
also find the current manual. The idea is that everytime you download
a new version you also download either a manual addendum or the
complete new manual.
  http://www.mw-software.com/software/artworks/aw28/aw28.html

>> The pointer snaps to the outlines of all objects on magnetic layers
>> while magnetic snapping is on. Also, the edges and midpoints of
>> dragged objects snap to the outlines of objects on magnetic layers.

> I'll need the manual, because I'm not seeing any of those effects, whether
> a layer is magnetic or not.

You need to switch magnetic snapping on in the Info Bar (the little
magnet icon next to the grid button).