Re: [artworks] Looking for Artworks tutorials? Celtic knotwork

  • From: Nigel Gatherer <gatherer@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: artworks@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2006 09:15:14 +0100

John Oram wrote:

> The old but very useful utility !StreetMap is a great time-saver
> here. It translates any !Drawfile of interlocking single lines into
> a 'map' of parallel lines and open junctions, in which you can set
> the line width and 'road' width (white space between the parallel
> lines)

I too am a fan of !StreetMap (my brother Kell's programme) and still
use it to produce maps. I once thought it might be adapted for Celtic
knotwork, but the interlocking aspect of knotwork makes manipulating in
vector very difficult. If you can create a wire frame of the pattern in
Artworks, export the component parts as Drawfiles straight into
!StreetMap and back into Artworks, then individually send each
component backwards or forwards, it may work. I seem to remember having
to "patch over" certain parts of the finished design to make it look
good. It's by no means straightforward. Kell Gatherer has more
experience of creating knotwork by hand and on screen, so if he's
looking in on this list he may offer advice.

--
Nigel Gatherer, Crieff
StrongARM RiscPC 700, RiscOS 3.7, 32Mb ram