Re: [artworks] Joining shapes

  • From: Richard Ashbery <riscos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ArtWorks Mail list <artworks@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2008 19:23:56 +0100

In article <e327d4ad4f.jr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
   <rickman@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>  Richard Ashbery  wrote:

> > I've had another look at this Martin and sure enough it can be
> > done. Assuming the two "closed" objects are selected, the
> > sequence of events is as follows:

> > CTRL-I CTRL-K ALT-drag the original and clone to select both
> You should'nt need the simple drag will select everything

You are absolutely right. I've tried it again - a simple drag works a
treat.

> >(note - there is nothing to indicate the shapes are selected and
> > if you get this bit wrong and end up selecting only the clone the
> > rest of the procedure fails).
> I keep a close watch on the Status Message when selecting
> innvisibles- In this case it should say two shapes selected

I have never noticed this information line before - I'm not the most
observant person :-((

Thanks for that :-)

> > CTRL-W CTRL-L Select intersection and delete.

> > Six steps are needed. Could this be simplified in the future. The
> > abitity to join multiple shapes in a simplified way might allow
> > some interesting geometric patterns to be created.

> Xara has two extra options "Add Shapes" and "Subtract Shapes" which
> are intuitive and don't require you to have a grasp of Set Theory.

Excellent - can this be incorporated into ArtWorks? I ponder on the
amount of programing required - would users use it? but I surpose only
Martin can comment on this.

Best regards

Richard