Re: [artworks] Is this an Artworks or a printer driver problem?

  • From: Martin Wuerthner <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: artworks@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 04 Jul 2006 15:18:36 +0200

In message <4e40137f88rhnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
          "Rob Hemmings (News)" <rhnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I have a poster that I have been trying to print on A3 paper using my
> Canon S4500 inkjet printer and Gimp-print.  It was created with Artworks
> version 2.61 and is very simple - just 4 lines of text in a text area and
> an arrow underneath.  The text is a very large size - 173 point
> NewHall.bold.
>
> The problem I have is that, when printing, it misses out the letter e
> which appears on the first and third lines of the text area.  (There are
> no other occurrences of the letter e in the text.)  The only way I have
> found to solve this is to print it once then create two letter e's in
> exactly the right place, delete everything else and then print it again.

This is very unusual. It looks like a problem in the font or the
FontManager to me. A potential fault in ArtWorks or the printer driver
could not explain the fact that only one specific letter is affected.

You can force ArtWorks to use its own shape rendering routines instead
of the FontManager if you use the text line tool instead of the text
area tool and then give the text a thin outline and an outline colour.

> Are there any setting I can change anywhere to make this work better?

It could be worth a try to reduce the print resolution.

The font cache setting will not make any difference - text at that
size is almost certainly bigger than your configured FontMax3 size and
thus drawn as shapes by the FontManager.