Re: [artworks] Intersect problem

  • From: Martin Wuerthner <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: artworks@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 03 Jun 2008 21:50:32 +0200

In message <4fa9c8180driscos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
          Richard Ashbery <riscos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> In article <1b32bda94f.tigger@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Nick
> Roberts <tigger@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> I've then selected the rectangle and the circle and used "Intersect
>> all".

>> At this point I get an hourglass, that stays there until I run out
>> of patience and hit alt-break to kill Artworks.

>> ArtWorks 2.75, RISC OS 5.13

> Can confirm this occurs with AW 2.82.

> Intersecting of a circle and rectangle produce intersect as expected but
> as soon as you group the radiating lines and the circle and perform the
> intersect again with the rectangle the computer appears to go into a
> loop (animated hourglass).

> Perhaps Martin will explain but I feel sure that the Intersect tool can
> only work with continuous shapes.

Not quite. The things that are clipped can be open lines or closed
shapes. The things that you clip *to* can only be closed shapes.
Otherwise, the operation simply makes no sense.

> Unfortunately the radiating lines are not in this catagory so the
> Intersect module is unable to recognise the shape.

More precisely, it cannot clip a shape to a line, but it happily clips
a line to a shape (using "Intersect with top" and the top object being
a closed shape).