Re: [artworks] Ideas for new version (slightly OT)

  • From: Tim Hill <smartgroups@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: artworks@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2007 10:41:59 +0000 (GMT)

In article <4ea36d6a25rhnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Rob Hemmings (News)
<rhnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > So, to what kind of printer would you print a file that is wider than
> > 3 metres?

A Banner printer or vinyl cutter. (IIRC my last banner was 5m wide).

The guys who print roadside boards for me also produce banners and the
exterior printed hoardings for housing developments. These can be huge,
printed using a flatbed inkjet with hard-wearing inks but at only 72 dpi.

Then there are those huge billboards and 'cloths' which appear on the
side of tall empty buildings. (M4, Brentford)

So, there is a limited need for huge paper sizes, though not always for
paper.  ;-)

However I don't have to work on a 1m x 1m page size to produce 1m x 1m
artwork and I sometimes use A4 to produce A6 artwork. As long as there is
an understanding of the relationship between the various sizes there are
always work-arounds. However, it is always easier to work at the correct
size and that was the first thing which I liked about early ArtWorks:
definable (and big) paper sizes.

It is always dangerous to assume. 640 KB is not more memory than anyone
would ever need and (probably) a small number of users do work with large
'paper' sizes.

--
Tim Hill,

www.timil.com

... "I am not of that feather, to shake off my friend when he must need  me"
Tim of Ath, Act i, Sc.1