Re: [artworks] Ideas for new version (slightly OT)

  • From: "Rob Hemmings (News)" <rhnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: artworks@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2007 19:02:54 +0000 (GMT)

In article <048807a34e.tim@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Tim Powys-Lybbe
<tim@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> In message of 10 Jan, Martin Wuerthner <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > In message <4ea2275fc0rhnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> "Rob Hemmings (News)"
> >           <rhnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > > I'd like to suggest an enhancement to allow Artworks to edit wider
> > > pages. The current limit is fine for normal work but runs out when
> > > trying to work on a large family tree.
> >
> > What is the problem with scaling down everything and using a smaller
> > page?

I suppose I can do that and then zoom in to edit but it would more
convenient not to need to do so.  It would also be nice if I could print
direct from Artworks reliably with the very large sizes.  (I realise that
this is probably a RISC OS printers limitation as much (or more?) than
Artworks.

> > Sorry, the current page size limits (3000mm in each direction) are
> > there to stay. Even the current limits are too big really - they do
> > not allow stable operation under all circumstances (e.g., with very
> > large zoom factors).

> As an alternative resource there are programs available, albeit on
> other platforms, that have far better facilities for handling family
> trees than anything we know about.  You can transfer your data for
> making a family tree by exporting a GEDCOM file from your RISC OS
> program to a program on another platform.  Or you can send a GEDCOM
> file to one of the workshops that will do large format printing for
> you, at a cost of course.

> I suspect it takes years of development to make a good family tree
> drawing program and some of the features required are just not part of
> the ArtWorks scene.  I cannot see a return on the heavy investment in
> programming to provide adequate family tree facilities in ArtWorks.

> But I would like to see a good family tree program on the RISC OS
> platform!

But I'm very happy with the output from !Family on RISC OS and have not
yet seen anything else that can produce a family tree that I like the
look of as much.  The other big advantage is that you can load it into
Artworks to edit to make it look exactly the way you want - I usually do
this in order to compress the width (which I admit a better package might
do for me) and add some annotation rather than being stuck with whatever
the software has decided to output.

 Rob Hemmings                        Southport

 rhnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxx