Re: [artworks] Ideas for new version

  • From: Simon Smith <simon_smith@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: artworks@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 08 Jan 2007 17:01:45 GMT

In message <1beb0ca24e.martin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
          Martin Wuerthner <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> In message <8d272fa14e.jr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>           rickman@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
>
> > A  dist x 1           up,down,left,right arrow
> > B       x 5           Ctrl + arrow
> > C       x 10          Shift + arrow
> > E       x 1/5         Ctrl + Shift + arrow
> > F  1 pixel            Alt + arrow
> > G  5 pixels           Alt + Shift + arrow
>
> Unfortunately, Alt is by ArtWorks for a different purpose (temporary
> tool switch) and hence cannot be used. Ctrl is currently used to nudge
> without auto-scrolling, so at the moment, all key combinations are
> used up.
>
> > [...]
> >
> > We have discussed this possible enhancement at several shows and you
> > seemed to think it would be possible if a suitable key combination
> > could be found.
>
> Yes, it would be trivial to add that feature per se but it would be
> more work to allow the user to configure it. The only way I can see to
> allow more different nudge distances would be to differentiate between
> the left and right Ctrl/Shift keys. That would allow us to add three
> more levels of nudging. For instance:
>
> None:             distance x 1
> Right Shift key:  distance x 5
> Right Ctrl key:   distance x 10
> Right Shift+Ctrl: distance x 1/5
>
> Left Shift key with any of the above: use zoom-dependent nudge
> distance instead of configured value - I guess, the most logical
> choice would be 1 screen pixel (i.e., the distance that equates to one
> screen pixel at the current zoom value).
>
> Left Ctrl key with any of the above: suppress auto-scrolling.

Rather than distinguishing between left and right shifting keys, I think I
personally would prefer a distinction beteen the four arrow keys and the
numpad arrow keys, if that's any easier to implement. Do you have a use
for the diagonal directions at present? Perhaps they would be better use for
controlled scaling in certain ways rather than just being used for diagonal
movements; I haven't given this idea a great deal of thought.

You could then use Ctrl-Shift-Alt and combinations as modifiers to both
sets of arrow keys. If you want to be really sacriligeous, you could
even start using the Windows keys as modifiers - for those that have them on
their keyboards. I reckon I'd prefer to use the normal arrow keys in as
close as possible to the way Draw does things, as that's what I'm used to,
and the numpad keys for the new cleverer stuff. I would very much like a
one-screen-pixel nudge option to be easily accessible.

One other feature I would use if it was available - a maximum zoom of
10000%. However, I wouldn't be surprised to hear the current 4000% limit is
for programmatic reasons, however.

Is the current wishlist (or at least the major items on it) available
anywhere for us to look at? I'd be interested to see it.

Simon Smith
--
Have you heard of the International Obfuscated Perl Code Competition? Each
contestant is shown ten Perl programs - five that have been written normally