Re: [artworks] Ideas for new version

  • From: Martin Wuerthner <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: artworks@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2007 13:42:39 +0100

In message <20bbf4a34e.steve@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
          Steve Fryatt <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 10 Jan, Tim Powys-Lybbe wrote in message
>   <1b7906a34e.tim@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
>
>> In message of 10 Jan, Gavin Crawford <gav@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> > I don't feel that multipage handling is particularly an important
>> > feature, as any ArtWorks document can be imported into Impression or
>> > Ovation Pro to create a multipage layout.
>>
>> My use for multipage documents is to create multipage PDF files.  OPro
>> does not have its own PDF export facility so I rely on PrintPDF with
>> GView.  I gather that the ArtWorks PDF generating facility is inherently
>> superior to the GView one.  So I am thoroughly in favour of multipage
>> layouts in ArtWorks.
>
> I would imagine that you could tack multiple ArtWorks-generated PDFs
> together using the Ghostscript tools; given that PDF->PS->PDF is always
> vector, I'd hope there would be no loss of quality.

Not so. There would be a significant loss of quality, in particular
with PDFs generated from ArtWorks. For instance, as soon as there is
any transparency in the file you will find most of it converted to
bitmap. I think not even a graduated fill would come out correctly.

>> > But if ArtWorks does receive multipage capabilities I would NOT want
>> > to see it done as scrollable pages in one view as the ability to use
>> > the scroll bars to navigate around one page becomes more difficult
>> > when the vertical scrollbar becomes small and it's sensitivity in
>> > relation to the page increases.
>>
>> I could live without scroll bars to go from page to page; I am used to
>> this with the RISC OS PDF viewer.
>
> The RISC OS PDF viewer has scroll bars, doesn't it?

Of course, but not for scrolling between pages, just for scrolling the
current page. That is precisely how it would look like in a multipage
version of ArtWorks.